Democracy and Greece's Golden Age pt.2

3/3/20
Democracy and Greece's Golden Age pt.2
Transformation of Government 
  • during the 6th and 7th centuries BCE, aristocrats ran the show in most of Greece
  • rich people wielded much more influence in society and governmental power than the middle class or poor
Aristocracy
  • attended symposiums which are meetings where the elite men would enjoy wine + poetry, performances by dancers + acrobats + the company of heaters (courtesans) while discussing politics
Politics
  • no women
  • no middle class
  • no slaves
  • certain aristocrats were excluded
Tyrants Seize Control
  • sometimes aristocrats would form alliances with hoplites which are well armed soldiers _ set up an alternative form of government called tyranny 
Rules, Codes, and Laws 
  •  Draco (621BCE)
  • all athenians are equal under the law
  • death was punishment for many crimes
  • debt slavery is OK(work as a slave to repay debts)
Today, we had Mrs. Jaques as a substitute for the first 30 minutes of class. We also went over our test. I wasn't there the day of the test so I has to take it the next day. But I still did pretty good on it. I got an 85 which is a high B. I kinda studied for it, but I was really sick when I did so I wasn't 100% ready.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cyber Day #5

Ancient Greece is the Word

Warring City States